Thursday 12 April 2012

The Joys and Rewards Working in English Language Teaching!

I've been involved in English language teaching and training for the last 22 years and hardly has a day gone by that has not provided me with tremendous rewards in one way or another for the work I do.

Those who know anything about the EFL world will know that financial reward can not be the main driver for working in this field, far from it, most English language professionals are compensated quite poorly in comparison with other professions, this is especially true if they work in the UK. Working overseas is different, a properly qualified native English speaking teacher will nearly always earn around the average national wage if not just above it for the country they are working in, but it is rare to be in a position where you are able to save money to return to the UK with.

I believe the rewards we get are nearly always far less tangible than the monetary, I don't mean altruistically either as seeking a reward for yourself could not be described as such.  The rewards that give me a sense of fulfilment, achievement and satisfaction with the world come from the realisation that others have been positively affected by my actions, Mike's story in my last post is a wonderful example of this.

As a teacher of language we are rewarded on a daily basis when we see one of our students better positioned to take on the everyday activities that we take for granted, in our language, as a result of participating in our classes e.g. asking for directions, opening a bank account or simply walking around a supermarket able to read and understand the contents of packages that contain products which are completely alien to them.

My role these days necessitates that I teach far less than I would really like to but I consider myself extraordinarily privileged to now be in a position, working with an incredibly talented team of colleagues, that can impact positively on the students who study here in ELTS and the wider institution and so continue to enjoy the rewards that fulfil me.

Here is an example of such a reward, this is an extract from a blog written by a current student who wishes to remain anonymous but has agreed to let me use it here and for that I am very grateful to the student.
I look forward to celebrating with her/ him at the Graduation ceremony in a year or so!



"Some notes of my educational journey.. 

I am a firm believer that' ' Success is a journey, not a destination'', I decided to travel to UK. After long months of preparation, and as soon as I received my confirmation letter to study English at Swansea University, I went there with a little knowledge taken from some websites of I will see and confront, it is a totally different culture..

Actually the first thing which can be described as a huge gate ofUK was Hethrow Airport, with all its pretty organization, attracted my attention. Along the way to Swansea, I was fascinated by the beautiful natural scenes with wide green spaces and some lakes and rivers here and there , though I was shaken of cold weather, it was January. But also that cold weather had a special taste of mystery.  

The chains of surprises never ends, when I arrived to my flat at Marina, the scent of the sea refreshed me, because the balcony was overlooking the sea,,Yes..!! It was the day before my first school day at '' ELTS ''- English Language Training Services- , and I had to sleep very well..

With the singing of the birds on three beside my bedroom, I thought that would an encouraging start of my day. While I was preparing myself for going to ELTS, I was so enthusiastic about the idea of starting my long '' journey'' of '' success''- I hope..!

 I reached my destination -ELTS-, the huge- two floor-building on a small hill surrounded with an amazing nature. Although I thought I was earlier, many students were already there earlier than me, not only me who was enthusiastic..!

We were informed that will be a placement test in order to put students in levels according to their grade in that test, I was in level 4. Then, we completed our enrollment procedures with the help of lovely teachers- Jo, Lisa, Kate, Neal and Lucy. Those were just the first teachers I met on my first day.

Here, I would really speak about that place. So, I will start - not by describing policy initiative- but by describing the characteristics of what I think most of previous and current students would agree would be a high quality educational experience. I am going to ask you to imagine with me, if you will, an institution for English Language Training:

- where multi-national students were gathered in one place because of their confidence in that place abilities to give them what they want to complete their studies smoothly.

- where a lot of facilities were available for academic use, from well-prepared classes, miners library with many services involving quite places for study, network and most importantly librarians ready to help at any time.

- where teachers follow a specific strategy to deal with the courses, using variable teaching methods in order to convey the information to the student in a kind of constant process of learning. They always seem busy, their offices full of piles of papers and students` assignments, but with a smile on their faces, they tell us indirectly that they love their job.  

- where the head of ELTS- Kevin- with his small office directs this organization of teaching and learning with a high sense of responsibility with every member related to that building. Honestly, I was shocked when I first enter his office with my teacher Kate, with the small space of his office. That situation in some conveys an important message of being modest and highly practical to reach success..

- And finally, and most importantly, an institution where relationships are understood to be the key to good outcomes. Every employer is there to support students, know them, advocate them, inspire them and love them. All of the institution`s schedules, policies, assessments and standards are captive to this idea- the primacy of relationships-and not as is so often the case, the other way around.

These were how I used to see that place since three months until now. I am still following my dream, and with all the experience I have acquired from ELTS, I will continue my journey of ''Success'' towards the university.."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really appreciate any feedback so please feel free to comment in any manner you wish.